The Ruth T. Bedford Merit Scholarship for the Arts
The Ruth T. Bedford Merit Scholarship for the Arts honors Ms. Bedford by supporting a girl who shares her passion for the arts and who embodies her sense of adventure and enterprise. The scholarship consists of a $25,000 grant-in-aid.
The ideal candidate is:
- Dedicated to the performing or visual arts and possesses a strong desire to excel in that arena
- Academically focused
- Someone who would add to the integrity and the intellectual and creative richness of the school community
- Inquisitive, outgoing and interested in developing leadership skills
- A new 9th or 10th grade student (at the discretion of the Head of School and Scholarship Committee, a new 11th grade student may be considered)
|Applications for the Ruth T. Bedford Merit Scholarship for the Arts are available online -- click here to download. The deadline is February 1, and the notification date is March 10.|
Applicants will submit the following:
- Completed admission application (required)
- Completed financial aid application (optional)
- A letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher, private instructor, or mentor in the arts (required)
- A 250-500 word essay about their passion for, as well as their accomplishments in the arts (required)
- A portfolio of their work (required)
|Students may continue to receive the scholarship through graduation, provided specific criteria are met.|
Criteria for renewal:
- The student and her parent(s) and guardian(s) must submit a yearly written statement regarding their continued interest in the arts at Foxcroft.
- The student must maintain good academic standing.
- The student must maintain good citizenship at Foxcroft.
- The student exhibits demonstrated contributions to the school community in the arts.
|Ruth T. Bedford, Class of 1932, was daring, creative – and had an impressive amount of grit. She served with the American Red Cross in Europe during World War II; worked for Rodgers & Hammerstein as a stage manager on several broadway shows; and was a licensed seaplane pilot, as well as an accomplished sailor, golfer, tennis player and horse woman. Bedford lived modestly, yet bequeathed Foxcroft the largest gift ever made to an all-girls secondary school.|
Submitting an Application
Please submit the completed Ruth T. Bedford Merit Scholarship for the Arts application
Foxcroft School Admission Office
P.O. Box 5555
22407 Foxhound Lane
Middleburg, VA 20118-5555
Or digitally to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bedford Scholarship” in the subject line.